If you are looking for Mercury free flu shots, below is a list of vaccines that Doctors choose from when ordering them for their practice. Helpful to know the name you're looking for .. and what you want to stay away from!
From Dr. Sears' site....
For the upcoming flu season, here are the brands your doctor can choose from:
* Fluvirin brand is approved for kids 4 years and older and adults. Mercury is used in manufacturing, but then filtered out.
* Fluarix and FluLaval are for adults only. Fluarix filters out the mercury too, but FluLaval contains the full dose of mercury (25 micrograms).
* Fluzone is the only brand that is used in infants age 6 to 35 months. The half-dose infant and toddler sindle-dose vials are mercury-free, but there isn't enough to go around.
* Fluzone also makes a very small supply of mercury-free flu shots for older children and adults, so only the first kids in line will get one.
* Fluzone devotes most of their manufacturing facilities to making the full-dose mercury-containing large bottles of flu shots for all age groups.
Ask the nurse to physically show you the bottle as she prepares the shot. If it is Fluzone brand, and it is a small single-dose vial or a pre-filled single-dose syringe, then you can be sure it is mercury-free. If it is Fluvirin or Fluarix brand, then there is only a tiny, barely detectable, insignificant amount of mercury. If it is FluLaval brand, or the large 10-dose bottle of Fluzone, then just say no!
For the full article ... http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/archives/2007_09_01_archive.asp
(Thanks to ACMom!)