Monday, April 21, 2008

So proud.

While touring the History Center's exhibit on segregation, I stopped at this display...



Kaelin came over so I lifted her up and tried the test on her. I asked her, "Which baby is the good one?" She looked back and forth for a moment, touched each doll, and then looked at me .. obviously confused.
I tried again .. "Which one is the good baby?"
She reached out to the white doll and said, "This baby happy. He smiling."

Uh oh.

But then ..
She reached out to the black doll. "This baby happy too! See Mommy .. he smiling."

She looked at me again with that, "I don't understand what you're asking me here .. what am I missing??" look.

I like to believe that they way that we're raising them has a little something to do with that .. and that there never comes a day when she understands a question like the one posed in that test.

(For the record, I didn't get a chance to try it on Reese. When I put Kaelin down I noticed that Reese was attempting to climb on a pile of wood meant to symbolize a burnt cross. When she saw me coming she bolted. (Smart girl)

No comments:

Post a Comment