Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thanking the heavens for small miracles

Kaelin has been ... well ... not sure how to put this delicately for all the PC people out there..
Oh hell, She's been a big fat pain in my rear.
I can't really blame her because this has coincided with a cough that has been keeping her up at night. Mommy is no good when she doesn't sleep well and the girl definitely takes after me in many ways.
Yesterday I was seriously weighing the pros and cons of sneaking off in the middle of the night and setting up camp at The Ritz Carlton for a few days.
Today started off okay, but after her nap.. wow. (which was only an hour and a half .. she's used to three + hours STILL .. I know you other moms hate me)
We went out to run a few errands and my sweet, well behaved child turned into the kid all of the childless people (and people with newborns .. you just wait suckers) shake their heads at in utter disbelief. In the process turning ME into the mom they all glare at, wondering why I can't discipline and control my child better.
Our outing ended with a WWF style smackdown at a checkout counter.
Mommy lost.
On the ride home I discover that I have lollipops in my bag. Reesey gets one for being so good .. Kaelin, on the other hand, only gets a lesson on words like appropriateness, consequences, and nervous breakdowns.
She proceeds to scream at the top of her lungs. Not crying mind you .. just screaming. Ya know, the whole, 'lets see how far I can push this woman who's already on the edge and hey, maybe I'll learn a few new words in the process' kind of scream.
Well, about 1 minute into it I hear her voice starting to crack.
Then it happens.
She tries to yell ...
and nothing comes out...
just a sad little mousy noise at the end of each silent dramatic interpretation of a scream.

Sweeeet.
The kid lost her voice.

Guess the damage that the coughing did added to the lovely operatic show she was putting on finally caused her voice to give out.
Reesey thought it was hysterical and so she started screaming herself just to egg Kaelin on.

The whole ride home I hear,
R: "iiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!"
K: "...................................eep."
R: "iiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!"
K: "...................................arp."
R: "heehee .. Kaelin .. so funny"

Priceless. (yes, I have some of it recorded on my camera phone .. If I can figure out a way to upload it, you can all share in the humor)
Love that I can now use that as a deterrent to behavior like that. For all she knows Mommy took her voice away until she can act like a big girl.
Ahh .. once again I'm back on top as the all knowing, all powerful Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment