Sunday, October 21, 2007

Bedtime woes

Reese has been an absolute nightmare about going to sleep. This has been going on for two weeks now. I'm about to lose my mind.
It all started with screaming every time she was put in her crib ... we finally started letting her cry it out (albeit going in every 10, 15, then 20 minutes)
This was going on about 8 times a night. Not fun.
I'll never know how it is that Kaelin is able to block out the noise ... Reese has perfected the art of the 80's slasher flick scream. Its not pretty.
That culminated into David getting her up early from nap a few days ago only to find her standing at the nursery door. eesh.
Yep, the little monkey had figured out how to escape the confines of the crib.
That night she got out a handful of times too. I was watching under her door and kept seeing her little feet landing gently on the ground .. and then of course they would freeze in place as she waited to see if anyone knew what she was up to.
That night I had to give in and rock her to sleep which took about an hour.

Nap time the next day was the same way for David (I had gone to a facepainting gig at a Mercedes dealership .. which normally I wouldn't be interested in doing but once I was told it would be $75 an hour I couldn't say no)
He had to put her back in her crib two or three times and then all was quiet. When he went in to wake her up she had her blanket and lovies and was asleep on the floor next to the crib.
That night David went out with the boys, so I was left alone to deak with everything. Bedtime was ... good lord, there just isn't a word for it. She was out of her crib every two minutes. I finally had enough and asked Kaelin if I could use her crib to trap her sister. She thankfully said yes .. so I pulled her crib over to Reese's and pushed it against the side that Reese was hoisting herself over. When I did that Kaelin promptly stuck her head under her pillow .. smart kid knew her sister was going to flip out and that the screams would now be right next to her. I felt horrible but it was all I could think of! I lifted the pillow, thanked her repeatedly and promised her cookies for breakfast. She nodded her head and pulled the pillow back down.
Two minutes after my exit, Reese was back at it. This time screaming "stuck!" I opened the door and there she was .. stuck between Kaelin's crib and her own. Damn. Foiled again.
Fine .. I gave up and took her to rock her to sleep. An hour later she finally falls asleep and I walk her to her room. It's at this point that I realize I have no way of getting her back into her crib while keeping her asleep. Not only is Kaelin's crib blocking the side but I had turned her crib around so that the shorter front was now against the wall and the high back was my only way in. Ugh. Brilliant move mom. I literally had to just say a quick prayer and drop her. She woke for a second but settled back down. The next morning both cribs were moved back.

The next night actually went well. We were pleasantly suprised when she went right to bed with no protesting and slept from 8pm to 9am.
That was just a teaser apparently.
Tonight we started our bedtime routine which threw Reese into an absolute fit. She screamed for Daddy .. but when he took her she immediately screamed for Mommy .. the back and forth went on for a few minutes until I finally just took her to our room b/c poor Kaelin just looked like she had heard enough. After an hour, Reese was still wide awake. Back to the room .. put her in the crib and pretended to sleep on the floor next to her. For the next fourty minutes Reese stayed with her head pressed up against the bars staring at me and whispering. Not good.
Finally, at 10:15 I just picked her up .. plopped her down on a blanket next to the crib and waited.
She stayed there. Never even glanced my way. That's how I left her. I have the monitor turned up so I can hear everything in there but so far she's stayed down. I haven't decided if we should test our luck and move her to the crib before we go to sleep.

I had not planned on these two getting beds until after their third birthday. Looks like Reese has put an end to that delusion. I have a friend who dug up a crib tent for us to borrow but I'm wondering if we should go that route or just give the beds a try. I'm completely at a loss for the first time in two years. NO clue what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment